Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Midwife for a day & a1c update!

Before I start in about my day I have a good announcement to make. My last a1c (a blood value that measures the amt of sugar on someone's blood cells for 3 months to determine how well someone's blood sugars have been) was 7.9. A non-diabetic is less than 6.0. Most drs try to keep diabetics below 6.5. Anyways, I had my blood drawn a few weeks ago for my q 3 mo a1c test. I made a bet with my dr that I brought it down to a 6.8. He said if it's a 6.8 he'd cry. A 7.9 to a 6.8 in 3 months is a really significant drop. More to that in a second.

So last week I had the IUD pulled and discussed with my OB/GYN the degree of danger I had with another pregnancy. He wanted to know what my a1c was. I told him in December it was 7.9. He kinda gave me this look like "Uh oh". He said "Well, I want my diabetics under a 7.0." That's when I told him I bet my other dr that it will be a 6.8. He was hoping that for my sake (& the babys sake) that I was right.

Well, I got my blood test results yesterday. I was wrong. It is a 6.5!!!!! YAY FREAKEN YEAH! I couldn't be happier. Being put on this new insulin mix has worked great for me.

So anyways: Wow talk about a busy day! I came in and EVERY bed was full. And we still had scheduled cesareans coming in. So I attended yet another cesarean. I swear the cesarean rate at this hospital is 99% LOL Anyways, now that I pretty much have the routine down I was able to be in on more of the action. The OR is a well coordinated dance and I finally got rid of my two left feet.

So that delivery went well.

Later there was finally an impending vaginal birth. Actually the midwife delivering, I attended one of her deliveries before at another hospital. Didn't quite know what to make of her.

But today I was talking to her about students that she gets from midwifery schools. She gave me some ideas on some great schools. I'll def be looking in to those! But I was just shocked because this midwife seems unapproachable from a healthcare workers point of view. I don't doubt for one second that she's fantastic with her patients. In fact, I see alot of what I want to be in her.

Anyways, so later on I was walking down the hallway and she was talking to the patients nurse. The midwife asked me if I wanted to assist her. Assist her?! Hell yeah! She told the nurse she'd call her when we were ready. Ok, assist with what? Assessing the patient?

I walk in and she kicks everyone out of the room except for "Grandma". Uh, ok? Didn't take me long to realize that she had me down in the dirty telling the patient to start pushing. PUSH?! WHAT?! NO! I'm not ready! Whew! Fortunately mama didn't push out a flying baby and I just stepped back to coach her and hold her leg and head up. Grandma held up her other leg. After a number of contractions the baby was delivered. It was so cool!

So anyways, I survived. She was actually somewhat taking me under her wing! I've NEVER seen her like this!

(Amanda, your midwife ROCKS! LOL)

So I pulled IVs, hung drips, cared for a baby with O2 saturation problems, attended a circumcision (somehow getting into a conversation with the dr about body piercings LOL don't ask), assisted with a vaginal delivery, and readied the patient for a cesarean. Ok, and countless other things.

OB NURSING ROCKS!

Oh and I also ran into a midwife that took care of me when I was pregnant with Colin! She actually remembered me all these years later. She remembered the degree of preeclampsia that I had and how Colin was a preterm delivery (down to remembering the cesarean and the dr that delivered him). I told her that we're looking to have another one but I'm scared about having a repeat. She had a few encouraging words and mentioned that many times women don't repeat, but some do and that I need to be prepared for that. Damn I miss her LOL She told me if I stayed around longer the dr who delivered Colin would be showing up. (No I didn't hang around, I was too tired after working 12 busy hours LOL)

No comments:

Post a Comment