Monday, July 20, 2009

16 and Pregnant on MTV

Because I was a teen mother myself, I have a special place in my heart to teen mothers who bust their butt in life trying hard to do right by their children. I especially applaud teen fathers who stick around, even when times are tough and scary. I was fortunate to have a boyfriend (who later became my husband after graduation) who stuck around and helped to care for his son. We both worked and went to school and graduated high school with a diploma. Even today, although we are divorced and living many states away, he still maintains a close relationship with his son. Although we aren't in love, we are still friends and that has worked quite well. I'm blessed to have a husband who is understanding of the situation, has also stepped up to the plate from day one, and raises our son as his own (& has a great rapport with my ex-husband!)

Someday, when I am a midwife, I would LOVE to open a clinic focused at teen parents. I want to be able to find ways to get them through high school and to find employment. It can happen for ambitious teen parents who are willing to work for it and not give up, but just lack the resources. I can't wait to make it happen!!

Anyways. So I enjoy hearing about other teen parents, and that's why I watch "16 & Pregnant" on MTV. I was especially touched by the season finale couple, Caitlynn and Tyler. If you haven't seen this episode, please watch it before continuing on because I have some major spoilers.

If the video doesn't work, go to YouTube.com and type in "16 and pregnant caitlynn"

***EDIT UPDATE: MTV has been having issues with this video so I went ahead and deleted it. I suggest Youtube for searching for the video***

Ok, with that being said (& seen) let me say a few things about this couple.

First of all, aren't they gorgeous! This is one couple I hope stays together. They are about as close to soul mates as you can get.

Second, I don't know of many adults, much less teenagers, that can make the decision they made and stay strong enough to live with it. I applaud them for not resorting to abortion, which personally is just NOT an option. It's too bad that people have them. Tyler is right, love isn't all a baby needs. If it was, they would raise the most perfectly happy baby. There's no doubt in my mind they love their baby. And they did THE most unselfish thing and put their feelings aside and gave the gift of life, essentially, to a very wonderful family. I admire Brandon & Teresa as well. They seem to be a very good couple and individuals.

I'll just say, I cried my eyes out! I even got Marty to watch it with me and he cried. He agrees, they are phenomenal kids. I can't wait to see the Finale Special show that they have scheduled for this week with Dr Drew. All of the kids from this season are getting together to talk with him. And the preview showed Brandon and Teresa coming with baby Carly to visit with Caitlynn and Tyler! Oh man, I started crying just seeing that!!

I'm SO not into reality shows, but this one really stole my heart. I hope that teens are able to see this show and realize while they still can that birth control is something they should take very seriously. Yeah, like I have room to talk... I DO! I've been there! Although I consider my situation to have a happy ending and if I could relive my life I would live it exactly the same way (probably speak up when I'm done wrong more though LOL), not everyone else ends up like this. It's always best to hold off until you are at least out of high school.

1 comment:

  1. I have read about this show through other blogs. Sounds like a show I would be interested in! I think it's really great what you aspire to do as a midwife. I have had an interest in helping pregnant teens, as far as childbirth education and just helping them through the whole pregnancy journey. I don't have personal experience, but my heart does go out to them.

    ReplyDelete