Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Colin's Pre-K Orientation

Because Colin turns 5 4 days after the state kindergarten cutoff, he will not start kindergarten this year. He has to wait until next year. I was going to try enrolling him in the states pre-k lottery system (your kid isn't guaranteed a spot in pre-k). But because I didn't know which hospital I would be working at (and figured I would have taken and passed the NCLEX by now) I did not even apply for the state's pre-k program.

But imagine my surprise when I got word that our church was starting their own pre-k (non-lottery funded)!!! I was SO excited! Plus if I have my way, Colin will be brought up in private schools. I just find it so important that Colin gets a good education, especially with a Christian foundation.

Colin is a very shy boy, especially around girls. So he didn't like the idea of starting pre-k this year. He loves staying home. But tonight we took him to the orientation at the church. We didn't tell him where we were going, but when we were there we told him. By then he was already curious. When we got there he was excited to see lots of kids that "looked like him" (ie 4 year olds).

They took the kids to their classrooms to check things out while they talked to us. He didn't mind at all! He wanted to go! No fit or anything! And he was one of the best behaved kids! I was so proud of my big man.

So he starts pre-k next Monday and Cody starts 8th grade Monday too. Because the school system will not be providing bus transportation this year I will take Cody to school in time for class at 830 and Colin at 900. They will be in 2 separate county school systems, but both schools are on the line. So it's not a bad drive at all.

I'm so excited!

Colin taught us everything he learned in class tonight (about bullying, teasing, misbehaving, etc). He remembered SO much! I hope he's that way in school :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment