Friday, July 17, 2009

Things I'm learning about Newborn Kitten care

Like I said, when come across something new I research the heck out of it. With this being my first time at having a cat have kittens I needed to know what to expect. So here's what I'm learning so far:

1) Newborn kittens nurse the first 24 hours receiving a heavy dose of antibodies and vitamins through the queen's colostrum. Just like human mothers produce a fluid that isn't white like milk, so do cats. So it's very important for the kittens to nurse this first 24 hours.

2) The mother will lick her kittens bellies and behinds to stimulate a bowel movement and urination. This continues for two to three weeks.

3) Keep food, water, and a litter box nearby for the mother to use. Offer food and water frequently. Just keep it out of reach of the kittens. The mother should eat a high quality cat food, preferably one for kittens because it provides the extra vitamins and nutrients. Her appetite will double in the next one or two hours.

4) The kittens should nurse every 1-2 hours. They should have a round belly and sleep quietly. If they are restless and not nursing, they may need a supplement. If they get weaker they will become still and not cry.

5) The site that I read from says to weigh the kittens daily. They should start around 100 grams and go up 7-10 grams a day. By day 14, they should be double in weight.

I suppose this is mostly what I need to know right now. I'm going out today to get a good quality kitten food for Nikita. A vitamin supplement probably wouldn't hurt and was recommended through www.peteducation.com. I'll check with the vet. I probably should have done all of this before the kittens were born LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment